We have identified a number of frequently asked questions relating to Home Insurance. Please click on any of the questions of interest to you to view the answers.

The FAQs are answered on a general basis but variations can exist from insurer to insurer. Therefore if you have a question relating to the policy cover of a specific insurer you should always refer to the policy of that insurer for full details.

Can I get instant home insurance cover?

Once we have obtained your details Cover can start immediately payment is made and approved.

Back to top

Is it safe to enter my credit card details on-line?

Yes, we use the latest encryption technology through SSL to protect your personal information and credit card details.

If you do not wish to enter your card details on-line, please call us on +353 (0)1 7075999 and we will take the details over the phone.

Back to top

Can I get home insurance on my holiday home?

Yes, Quotes can be obtained for your holiday home on our website.

Back to top

Can I get home insurance for a house that I rent out?

Yes, Quotes can be obtained for your rental property on our website.

Back to top

Do I have to Insure my Home through my mortgage provider?

No. You can choose to Insure your Home with whoever you wish. Mortgage providers usually deal with a single Insurer only and you should be able to get a better deal by using a Broker like Glennon. We are confident that an Insurance Broker like ourselves who have access to a wide range of insurers and products would be able to provide you with a better deal.

Back to top

What is Accidental Damage Cover?

A Standard Home Insurance policy provides cover against loss or damage caused by specified perils such as fire, storm, flood, theft and burst pipes but does not cover accidental loss or damage such as staining a carpet by spilling wine. Most home policies offer the option to include Accidental Damage cover on both Buildings and Contents which will provide cover for such occurrences.

Back to top

What is All Risks Cover?

This is normally available as an optional extra on a Home Contents Insurance policy and usually covers personal possessions that can be carried on the person such as cameras, jewellery, watches and also sports equipment and bicycles for loss or damage whilst in your Home and away from your Home or anywhere in the world for a specified period each year.

Personal possessions can be insured for All Risks on a general basis without specifying individual items for a sum insured of your choice but subject to a maximum limit for any single article e.g. €2,000. Alternatively you can insure each individual item on the policy for a specific sum insured. This option would usually be chosen to insure personal possessions of a high value.

Back to top

How do I calculate the sum insured for my Buildings?

The sum insured on the building of your dwelling should represent the full cost of rebuilding your dwelling as new and should allow for such additional costs as site clearance, debris removal, compliance with Local or National planning regulations, Architects, Surveyors and other professional fees.

The sum to be insured on your buildings is not the market value or the price you can sell your home for in the open market. The market value will always include the cost of the site which should be excluded as this cannot be damaged.

The cost of rebuilding your dwelling will vary depending on its size, age, location, whether your home is terraced, semi-detached or detached, is of modern construction, Victorian or Edwardian with or without a basement etc.

You should also make an allowance for the cost of rebuilding garages and other outbuildings, boundary walls, fitted kitchens, build in wardrobes, any high quality or special finishes such as hardwood floors or doors and any features unique to your dwellings.

The value of your contents which can generally be described as items which are not fixed to the building structure such as carpets and curtains should not be included in your building sum insured.

To assist you in calculating the sum insured on the building of your dwelling please view our Rebuilding Cost Calculator.

Back to top

How do I calculate the sum insured for my Contents?

Your contents sum insured should be calculated based on the cost of replacing your contents as new as Home insurance policies cover contents on this basis. For example if you have a five year old three piece suite and it is damaged beyond repair you should insure for the cost of replacing the suite with a new one.

Most insurers do not cover certain items such as clothing, carpets, linen and bedding for their replacemnet cost as new and for such items you should make deductions for wear and tear from the replacemnet cost depending on the age and conditions of the items. Find out what items are not covered for their replacement cost as new with your insurer.

To assist you in calculating your own contents sum insured please view our Home Contents Sum Insured Calculator.

Back to top

What Discounts are available on Home Insurance?

This will depend on the Insurer concerned and the type of policy you purchase. Various discounts are allowed by Insurers which will vary from Insurer to Insurer. You should contact an Insurance Broker like Glennon who can advise you on how to get the best combination of discounts appropriate to your particular circumstances. Discounts can be allowed for:

Burglar Alarm – Insurers usually allow varying discounts depending on whether the alarm is “Bell Only” or “Centrally Monitored”. Please view our Home Security Guide  for further information on Alarm systems.

Smoke Detectors – Normally 2 or more Smoke Detectors must be installed to obtain a discount.

Membership of a Neighbourhood Watch or Community Alert Scheme

No Claims Discount – Usually available if you are claims free for at least one year.

Mature Policyholder Discount – Usually available for policyholders over 50 years of age.

Multi Policy Discount – Some Insurers offer a discount if you have another Home or Motor insurance policy arranged with them.

Optional Excess Discount – Some Insurers offer discounts for higher excesses.

Please also view Some tips to Help you Get the Cover you Need at the Best Price and What Affects your Home Quote for further information to help you reduce your premium.

Back to top

What does New For Old or Replacement for New Cover mean?

Most home insurance policies offer cover for “New for Old or a Replacement as New”. This is very important as it means that your home policy covers you for the cost of replacing your contents as new. It is important when arranging a home policy that you ensure that that cover is provided on this basis.

Most insurers do not cover certain items such as clothing, carpets, linen and bedding for their replacement cost as new and for such items deductions will be made for wear & tear from the replacement cost depending on the age and condition of the items.

Back to top

What does an Excess mean?

An excess on a home insurance policy is the amount of money that your insurer will deduct from any claim which you make under the policy. The amount of such excesses vary from insurer to insurer.

Back to top

What is Index Linking?

Most home insurers automatically increase the Sums Insured on the property covered by your policy at each renewal date to cater for the effects of inflation by the percentage change disclosed in indices such as the Consumer Price Index or other appropriate indices.

If you think increasing your Sums Insured in this way at any renewal date is unnecessary you are free at all times to choose the Sums Insured which you wish to insure.

Back to top

What am I not covered for?

The cover offered by home insurance policies will differ from insurer to insurer. Care should be taken when comparing home insurance quotes as the lowest price may not offer the best value. To view full details of the cover on your Glennon quote simply click View Cover Options & Benefits and you will be able to compare the full Cover Options & Benefits of your quote with any other quote you are considering.

All policies contain general exceptions which include some or all of the following:-

  • Any liability, loss or damage due to wear and tear, gradual operating cause, corrosion, rust, damage caused by cleaning or repairing any article; mechanical, electrical or electronic defects, breakdown or malfunction.
  • Any fees incurred in preparing a claim
  • Consequential loss or damage other than that specifically insured by the policy.
  • Any injury, loss or damage caused by war, invasion, terrorism, revolution, radioactivity, pressure waves caused by aircraft travelling at supersonic speeds or due to confiscation or requisition by order of any Government or Public Authority.

Back to top

Can I get cover for office equipment if I work from home?

This will depend on the insurer concerned but in general most home insurers cover home office equipment such as personal computers, fax machines, telephone answering machines etc for a specified sum insured.

Back to top

What do I need to do if I move house?

Get in touch with us and we will take full details of your new Home and any changes in cover you may require.

Back to top

What should I do if I have a Home claim?

It is important that you notify every incident of loss, damage or injury promptly to Glennon and we will advise you on what you need to do to process your claim. You can also notify most Insurers directly of an incident via their Home Claims assistance numbers where one is provided.

If you are in doubt as to whether the incident is covered report the loss anyway as you may find your policy provides more cover than you realise.

Most Home Insurers also provide a Home Emergency service, many of which operate 24 hours, 365 days a year and will provide you with rapid access to tradesmen and repairers for emergencies such as burst pipes, roof damage or broken windows. If you avail of this service you are responsible for paying the bill but if the damage is covered under your policy the Insurers will reimburse you less the policy excess but the charge for the emergency call out is not covered by some Insurers.

In order to avail of such assistance you must contact your own Insurer’s Emergency Assistance Number. Please view our list of Insurers Home Emergency Assistance Numbers for further information

If property has been stolen or maliciously damaged, or if you lose a valuable item, you should inform the Gardai or Police as soon as possible. You will receive the Garda/Police report form for completion with Your claim form.

Please refer to our section How to make a Home Claim for further information.

Back to top