Your home policy consists of a complex package of covers and varying discounts are allowed by insurers which can significantly reduce the cost of your home insurance.
To get the best value you should engage an Insurance Broker like Glennon who can advise you on the benefits offered by each home insurance product and how to get the best combination of discounts appropriate to your particular circumstances.
Here are some tips to help you get the best value for your money.
- Buy your policy through an Insurance Broker like Glennon. We will search the market for the most competitive premiums available to us, some of which are exlcusive to us.
- Take care when comparing home insurance quotes as the cover offered by home insurance policies will differ from insurer to insurer. To view full details of the cover on your Glennon quote simply click view Cover Options & Benefits and you can compare the full cover options & benefits of that quote with any other quote you are considering.
- Many insurers now offer fixed cover on their policies removing from you the option to choose the cover that suits you and charging you for cover you may not need. Check to see if you are paying for cover you do not need and get a quote from a Broker like Glennon who will offer you the right to choose the cover you want.
- Remember you do not have to insure the Building of your dwelling through your mortgage lender. Mortgage lenders usually use a single insurer only and you should get a better deal by getting a Broker like Glennon to shop around for you.
- Insure the building of your home for the cost of rebuilding your dwelling and not for how much you can sell your home. Remember the cost of the site on which your home is built can never be damaged and should be excluded in calculating your Buildings Sum Insured. Use our Home Buildings Sum Insured Calculator to assist you in calculating your Buildings Sum Insured.
- Insure your contents on the basis of their replacement cost as new other than for certain items such as clothing, carpets, linen etc. Use our Home Contents Sum Insured Calculator to assist you in calculating your contents sum insured.
- Install a burglar alarm. Most insurers allow a substantial discount if your home is protected by a burglar alarm and particularly where it is linked to a monitoring station. Make sure you are getting a good discount from your insurerer.
- Install at least two smoke detectors in your home. These will offer protection for you and your family and you will also receive a discount on your premium from most insurers. Make sure you are getting this discount.
- Join your local neighbourhood watch scheme. This will add to the security of your dwelling and you will receive a discount on your premium from most insurers. Are you getting a discount from your insurer?
- Many insurers allow a No Claims discount where you have had no claims. Check to make certain that your insurer offers a No Claims discount.
- Most insurers allow a mature policyholder discount. This varies from insurer to insurer but is available from some insurers for policyholders as young as 40 years old. The discount usually increases for the older age groups. Make sure you are getting such a discount from your insurer.
- Some insurers offer an Introductory discount on your first premium when you arrange a policy with them. Remember this discount will not be allowed on any subsequent renewal premium.
- Some insurers offer discounts where you have another Home or Motor insurance policy arranged with them. Check to see if your insurer offers such discounts and where savings can be achieved re-arrange your other policies with them.
- Consider choosing a higher Optional Excess. Most insurers offer discounts for higher excesses.